Wednesday 23 April 2008

A disability is not the Identity of the person

My dad is disabled also- he has M.S. This has made me really aware of the inportance of asking before you assist a handicapped person in a non- emergency situation. If I see someone who is struggling with something- I always offer assistance- but I do it like this.

Recent exmple- Woman ahead of me in the condiments area. She is in a wheelchair and is trying to get a straw. She's having trouble and her hands are shaking.

Me. "Excuse me, Ma'am. Would you like a hand with that to save you a little time?"

Her. "Oh, thank you so much. Yes. please. I can do this stuff, you know- but I'm running late already and it's been such a long day."

After I gave her the straw, she thanked me-not just for the straw, but for "Treating me like a PERSON. You won't believe how many people think that if you are in a chair you are deaf and retarded too. And it scares me and makes me angry when people move my chair without asking..."

She gave me a big hug. What a nice lady.


Anon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

check out my website for more ideas on random acts of kindness www.sheldonplayeronline.com