Friday 4 January 2008

Kindness to Strangers

i was at work, getting myself a cup of coffee to bring back into my workspace, today, at our in-house cafe.

i noticed a young man, who appeared to be in his early or mid-twenties, sitting at the end of a counter, where the pitchers of coffee and milk were placed.
i looked at him and observed that there was a walker of sorts, to help him walk (right beside him).
before taking the milk that was near him, i asked if it was o.k. to do so.
he replied, "yes."

i noticed he had finished his meal and had a drink in one hand and an empty carton that had contained food in another hand.
i asked if i could help him and he said i could. he handed me the box, which appeared to be empty of food. i asked him if he'd like me to throw it out for him. he said "yes" and thanked me. before i rushed back to my workplace i said to him, "goodbye, have a good day." he smiled and thanked me.

perhaps i made him feel good for a few moments?
i hope i did.

what made me notice him in the first place is that he wasn't sitting at a table in the cafe with other people. this saddened me a great deal and made me feel that i should reach out to him.

Anon

No comments: